Monday, January 9, 2012

Satisfied

This past week I was able to go to the Passion Conference in Atlanta. For those who may not know what this is, it is a Christian conference for college age students. I had my hesitations about going...mountaintop experience among other things, but I am so glad I went. God really moved and did a work there and in myself.
I guess what I really want to talk about was a few things that hit home with me yesterday. I was in my church service, my father was preaching on joy. How joy isn't based on outward circumstances but on an inward condition. He asked us a very potent question. What brings you the most joy? I thought very hard about that. What did bring me the most joy? After coming off a week at Passion (my mountain top) all I could think was the times in my life when I have been most joyful are when I am most satisfied in Christ. The times when I spend the most time in his word and soak up every sentence. When my heart sings praise to him all day. Those times the joy is inexpressible. It surpasses the most epic movie I could ever see, the most awesome of roller coasters, etc. Because with all of those things there is an end to the "joy" it brings, and I think in my heart I know it is coming to an end and therefore the "joy" is cheapened a bit. But with the joy from a relationship with Christ that joy is eternal and fresh everyday.
Here is a quote from Wisdom Hunters again.
"Our joy is in our Lord and King, Jesus; we choose no lower delight. The religion of men remains dead in sin, sad, and contingent on circumstances. We however serve with gladness, a risen Savior who rules by grace and truth. Gladness comes when you go to God to govern your life. It is the Lord you look to when life is spinning out of control. Children of God are happy to be His. Be glad your Maker made you for Himself.
He wants you, He desires you, and He invites you into the joy of His presence. Time with Jesus in stillness and solitude generates joy in your soul. Your glad heart will make music, and sing praises to your King. You may find yourself dancing with the stars under the canopy of heaven. Sing the new song written on your heart by the Holy Spirit, and you will be glad in God."

“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” Psalm 100:2

No comments:

Post a Comment